The Lazy Man’s Way to Finding Cheap Home Security Systems
Securing your home doesn’t have to be difficult. With the aid of the internet you can get the best security products at affordable prices. The most important thing, however, is recognizing what security equipment you need. In this article we’ll look at some features of security cameras, how they should be used, and what cautions to take when using them.
What to Consider
There are generally two types of home security cameras; overt and covert surveillance cameras. If you want to monitor your property, for example, keep an eye on your children and the perimeters of your property for any suspicious activity or person, choose a regular overt home security equipment.
On the other hand, if you suspect something may be going on in or around your property and you want to uncover whatever it is without the parties involved knowing, choose covert security systems.
How many rooms are you looking to put under surveillance? It’s very important to take this into consideration before picking a security video camera for your home. Count how many places you would need to keep an eye on. For example; room 1, room 2, room 3, compound 1, compound 2, etc
- Ensure that you have mapped out just how many angles you’ll need to put the cameras to get a complete view. In cases where you have a wide area to view with a single camera, there are motion-activated security cameras and others with flexible controls which can turn 3600, keeping any moving object in focus.
- There are single cameras and others with up to 16 channels. If you have many rooms to monitor, it’s advisable to go with a multiple channel system, rather than single cameras. This way the cameras are easier to set up.
- Depending on the space, its conditions and distance, decide if you’d go for a wired or wireless video surveillance system. Generally wired systems are more difficult to install. On the other hand, wireless systems are quite easy to install, they also have an IP feature that allows them broadcast the footage over the internet. For a DIY newbie looking to protect your home, it’s advisable you to go with wireless IP cameras.
Cameras are not so complicated to install, however, if you don’t have any experience with them and the system you want to install is a complicated one, contact an expert. Most outlets would offer some guides or experts to fix the cameras they sell.
- Consider the distance between the surveillance security system and the subject. Ensure you measure this distance as you are fixing, and make sure you get the right view before finally installing the camera.
- To get good pictures you’ll need to take note of light, angle and the surface you’ve attached the camera. Ensure the camera is not focusing on a light source like a bulb, if not you’ll get a blank screen. On the other hand, if the area doesn’t have enough lighting, consider providing some. Cameras must be placed strategically to get a full view; try several angles until you get the most complete view of the area. Always mount your security camera on a wall or a similarly firm surface. This is to ensure your camera is protected and can still function in windy conditions.
- Ensure you use the appropriate cameras for your home. Outdoor cameras are built tough to withstand extreme temperatures. Whilst indoor ones are built with sensitive cameras to stabilize exposure and produce good pictures. Use them appropriately.
Next, decide if you’d record the footage or not. Home owners rarely record the surveillance footage of their homes. For busy people the hours of recorded footage can quickly become daunting to go through.
On the other hand, people who don’t record the footage at all may encounter a circumstance where they may wish they were recording. The way out is to strike a balance, you may choose to record only when you’re not at home, asleep or when you suspect something is going on.
Like every other gadget, you would develop your own ideas when you begin using surveillance cameras. These systems are undoubtedly one of the most effective barricades of security for any home today.